February 8, 2016
Valentine’s Day is this weekend, so we’ve reached back into our blog vault for this post with terrific tips for doing Valentine’s Day without breaking the bank. Enjoy!
Valentine’s Day can be expensive when you add up the chocolates, gifts, and going out to eat for dinner. But it doesn’t have to be if you’re willing to get creative. Here are some ideas to keep you from spending too much and still enjoying your Valentine’s Day.
1. Movie night at home. Bring home take-out, rent a movie, and spend an inexpensive night “in”.
2. More date night ideas at home. Here are some great ideas that won’t cost much, but can make hanging out at home fun.
3. Picnic under the stars. Pack some food, blankets, and maybe some hot chocolate.
4. Here are a few inexpensive gift ideas for him.
5. Share a gift. If you and your significant other can find something you both enjoy, joining forces and just buying one gift will save some money and you’ll end up having something you both love.
6. Change the date. February 14 comes with long lines at restaurants and expensive flowers. If you wait until the weekend to celebrate, you’ll lose the crowds and maybe find a deal on a gift!
February 1, 2016
Northwest Georgia Credit Union has teamed with the Love My Credit Union Rewards TurboTax program to offer our members great savings on TurboTax federal products. This year, file your taxes the smarter way, and get your biggest possible refund – guaranteed.
• TurboTax translates taxes into simple questions about your life and puts everything in the right forms for you.
• TurboTax searches over 350 deductions and credits, so you won’t miss a thing.
• TurboTax runs error checks and a final review to help make sure your taxes are done right.
Start TurboTax now!
The TurboTax credit union member discount is just one of many member discounts available with the Love My Credit Union Rewards program. Credit Union members nationwide have saved over $1.4 billion with exclusive offers from these great partners:
- Receive a 10% discount (business members a 15% discount) on select regularly priced Sprint monthly data service. Plus, waived activation fee on new lines and upgrade fees ($36 savings each)
- Get safety and security of roadside assistance and more for less than $1 per week* with CU Road Pal
- Save up to $200 on new DIRECTV service with monthly bill credits and a $140 gift card
- Receive a $100 gift card and smoke communicator with new a ADT monitored home security system
- Earn cash back when you shop at over 1,500 online retailers with Love to Shop
The more offers you take advantage of, the more you save. Start saving today at LoveMyCreditUnion.org.
*Based on individual roadside assistance plan.
January 25, 2016
Last week, we explored helpful forms you can find on our website. This week, we’re going to delve into Online Banking. Did you know that you can do more than just check your balances and transfer money from Online Banking? Today, I’m going to tell you about 2 helpful tools found inside Online Banking.
First is a feature called “View Holds.” Wondering why your available balance differs from your current balance? This occurs anytime a hold is placed on your account. Holds can vary from Visa debit card signature purchases, check deposit holds, to PIN authorizations, loan pledges and others. Until these pending transactions clear, your current balance will not match your available balance, because the available balance includes any holds. Now you can view these holds within Online Banking in three easy steps!
To view these holds, including debit card holds:
- Log in to Online Banking.
- Click on any of your deposit accounts in blue – for example Checking
- Click on “View Holds” in the gray section below the main tabs.
Pretty handy, right?
The second Online Banking feature I want to tell you about is setting alerts. Do you want to know when you have an incoming ACH deposit, such as a direct deposited paycheck? You can set up an alert for that. How about when your account balance gets down to a certain level? You can set up an alert for that as well.
Alerts are organized by category. They are:
- Event Alerts. Event alerts are those such as an expiring or failed transfer, a maturing loan, a loan payment due, and many others.
- Balance Alerts. This allows you to set up an alert anytime any of your selected accounts goes above or below a certain level of your choosing.
- Transaction Alerts. You can set these to alert you anytime a transaction over a certain amount is posted to any of your selected accounts.
- Item Alerts. These will alert you when a certain item number has cleared your accounts.
- Security Alerts let you know when your account has had an invalid log in attempt or an ID Change.
- Finally, Personal Alerts can be set up to remind you of anything at all!
All of these alerts give you the option of being alerted via email or upon Online Banking login. They are super easy to set up.
- Just log in to Online Banking.
- Click the gray “Options” tab at the top of the page.
- Select “Alerts” from the red menu bar, located just underneath “Options.”
- Add or edit any of the alert categories from here.
I hope you will find these tools helpful in managing your accounts. What are your favorite ways to un-bank?
January 18, 2016
When is the last time you visited the credit union’s website for something other than logging in to online banking? If it’s been awhile, you may not be aware that there are some pretty nifty tools on the site. Today, we’ll explore a handy little gem called “Apps and Forms.” On our homepage: www.nwgacu.org, you’ll see a tan menu bar at the top of the page. One of the choices on that menu bar is: Apps & Forms. See it?
Click that and you’ll find a whole host of helpful tools. Traveling and need to let us know, so that your debit card won’t be blocked? There’s a form for that. Want to print out a loan application? You can find that on the Apps and Forms page. One really important one is the Change of Address Form. Anytime your address changes, please let us know by completing a Change of Address Form. Here is a snapshot of all the handy dandy forms you can find on the Apps & Forms page:
So go ahead, explore away! You never know what useful tools you might find on our website.
January 11, 2016
Unlike this Sweater, Holiday Debt is no laughing matter. Try our lower interest rate credit card and see how a 2.99% Balance Transfer APR fits your budget. Current NWGACU credit cardholders can request a balance transfer to our lower interest rate credit card by clicking here.
Don’t have our card? Apply here, or ask a credit union representative about transferring your balance to our lower interest rate credit card by calling 706-291-9290 or stop by a branch today. Hurry, this offer is only available to February 28, 2016.
Less Interest. Lower Fees. Better Looking 2016.
January 4, 2016
Each year, Northwest Georgia Credit Union hosts an Annual Meeting to celebrate our successes from the past year and discuss plans for the future. Our54th Annual Meeting will be held on Thursday, Feb. 11 at 6 p.m. at the Rome Civic Center. Please join us for light refreshments and all the latest news. We’ll be giving away cash door prizes and more. We look forward to seeing you there!
December 28, 2015
The new year is around the corner, and that means tax time is coming. Luckily, your credit union has the smarter way to your biggest refund. This year, use TurboTax to file your taxes the smarter way. You’ll get your biggest possible refund and be confident your taxes are done right.
- TurboTax translates taxes into simple questions about your life and puts everything in the right forms for you.
- TurboTax runs error checks and a final review to help make sure your taxes are done right.
- With TurboTax Federal Free Edition, Northwest Georgia Credit Union members with simple federal tax returns can prepare, print and e-file for FREE.
Start TurboTax for FREE today!
December 21, 2015
If you have a checking account at Northwest Georgia Credit Union you may have heard about Unbounce Courtesy Pay. Every now and then, we are all bound to make mistakes in our checking accounts. Unforeseen expenses or miscalculating your account balance can cause you to overdraw your account. Because we understand the stress and embarrassment that can come from this situation, we offer Unbounce Courtesy Pay for qualified members.
Unbounce Courtesy Pay allows us to pay items on your behalf, even when your checking account balance is at zero. When things get tight, Unbounce Courtesy Pay is available to cover your purchases. And, did you know that you can now take advantage of up to a $500 cushion? It’s true! We’ve recently increased our Unbounce Courtesy Pay limits at Northwest Georgia Credit Union so you can enjoy the extra protection you need – right when you need it most.
For members in good standing, Unbounce Courtesy Pay comes automatically with your Unbelievable Checking Account. However, there is some action needed on your part: in order for your Unbounce Courtesy Pay to work on your debit card transactions, in addition to checks you write, you must opt-in. To opt-in, click here to print the Regulation E Opt-In Form, then bring it to a branch or mail it to us at:
NWGACU, Attn: Reg E, 1307 Redmond Road, Rome, GA 30165.
Read more about Unbounce Courtesy Pay here.
December 14, 2015
It’s time again to get to meet, or get to know more about, our unbelievable credit union team! This week, we are featuring Lori J., a teller at our Dean Ave. branch. Read on to learn more about her.
Coffee vs. Tea and why: Tea, I hate coffee
Favorite song: Wake me up before you go: Wham
Favorite snack food: Reese’s peanut butter cups
Favorite Role model in history: Martha Berry
First Concert: Mariah Carey
Next time you’re in the Dean Ave branch, say hello to Lori J.!
December 7, 2015
Toys for Tots is an organization that has been around for a very long time. We love supporting this cause each year, but we need your help! When you’re out doing your holiday shopping, please consider adding a few toys to your cart so everyone can have a joyous holiday season this year. If you use your NWGACU Visa Platinum card, you’ll even get triple bonus points on any holiday purchases you make! There’s no downside!
Our box still has lots of room, and we would love to get it filled up by December 14, when the toys are picked up to get ready to go to the children.
Stop by either NWGACU location between now and December 14 to donate toys. Get more information about Toys for Tots here.