As October 31st quickly approaches, kids will be asking for costumes and begging for their favorite candy. Sometimes Halloween can blindside us with expenses, but it is possible to stay within reason. Take a look at these ideas to have a fun and memorable Halloween without breaking the bank.
Instead of running to the nearest store to grab costumes for the kids, try making them yourself. Look around the house and get creative — you might be surprised what you can come up with!
Already looked around for some fun costumes but came up with nothing? If you need some inspiration, check out these adorable homemade costumes from AllYou.com to help get your homemade Halloween creativity flowing. Still searching? Look here for some more adorable options from Spoonful.com.
If you’ve waited until the last minute, RealSimple.com has some real simple ideas here.
Depending on where you live, you may have a few trick-or-treaters that will come knocking on the 31st while others may have a neighborhood full of kids that will be ringing that doorbell all night long. If stocking up on candy is a budget nightmare, you may want to try these ideas:
- Check your Sunday paper or the Internet for coupons on candy and buy whatever is on sale.
- Buy generic. Candy is candy and paying name brand prices can add up.
- Give out candy yourself. When you let kids grab what they want, the candy bucket will be empty in no time.
- Consider staying away from candy altogether and offer Halloween-themed pencils, erasers, stickers, or temporary tattoos.
- Remember to use your NWGACU VISA credit card at the checkout; you get double points on all food purchases through the end of October!
Once you’ve got your child all decked out in their Halloween best, don’t forget to bring them by the Redmond Road branch on Halloween at 4:30 p.m. for our annual Kids Club Halloween Costume Contest! Winners and runners-up will be chosen from both the Little Sprouts and the Acorn Club, and there will be free food and prizes for all!
Haven’t signed your child up for a kids club yet? It’s easy! Just come by either branch on or before Halloween to get them signed up so they can participate in the Costume Contest, too! Winners get $50 in their savings accounts, and runners-up will get $25!
We hope you have an unbelievable Halloween!